Sunday, September 28, 2014

Love and Ceramics

Autumn has arrived and brought with it rain and cooler nights, although we had the sun come for a visit this weekend which I am thankful for.  This past week has been quite an adjustment to waking up in darkness at 5:30 and coming home as the sun fades. It's great to see the kids again and the staff although all of us feel overwhelmed with the amount of work to do.  At times I need to remind myself to breath and prioritize my work.  

The other weekend, I went to see my old high school friend, Niki Holmes, at a neighbourhood artisan fair.  Niki went to Emily Carr for design and specializes in ceramics.  She makes the most beautiful cups, pots, plates and the sweetest buttons!! I love her design aesthetic and colour choices, which are right up my alley.  Her signature is a little turtle which she whimsically adds to the inside of her cups. Take a look at her lovely works that I had to get for myself.


Spy the turtle?

Beautiful colour that reminds me of the sea on a stormy night


Turtle buttons!


I have a few ideas for these buttons already!
I love to collect my artistic friends' creations and wish I had more capital to buy more! Niki was a sweetie and threw in the beautiful brown flower buttons for me! Thanks Niki!!

Onto some stitching.  I finished Love for the Sheep SAL with Sarah, Kaye and Lija.  I'm not sure how I will finish these Sheep Virtues but most likely it will be a pillow finish.  I have a few ideas floating around in my head.  I might try to use some burlap string for a border like in the photos, or something entirely different.  The lovely Ann from Beadlework sent me the whole collection! Thank you so much Ann for your generosity!!





I picked Kindness as my next virtue in memory of Cathey who passed away a year ago yesterday.  Thinking of her dear Junior and husband and sending them prayers and hugs.  Still miss her kindness and her emails.  She touched so many of our hearts and won't be forgotten.  

Signing off with my fall display and a picture of me and my new haircut.  I felt I needed something easy to work with in the mornings.




Cheers and hope to catch up a bit with all of you.

Anne

25 comments:

gracie said...

Love the new haircut...and I love the cup! That turtle is the greatest.... I can imagine finding it with the last sip! Great new projects.

Jacqueline Morris said...

I love turtles and just love all the ceramics.... the buttons are adorable :)
Oooh goodness I love your sheep too!! I think these are just simply adorable too... and I am sure you will stitch them up wonderfully :)
Your fall display is lovely, a beautiful collection of stitching :)
Smiles :)

Linda said...

Congrats on the cute finish Anne. Love the new haircut.

Linda

rosey175 said...

Eeee the little turtles! That's such a super cute personal touch. And your fall display! Everyone is so timely lol

Cute new haircut too! I envy (to counter your awesome virtues???) straight hair. When my hair is that short, it just turns into a giant floof.

Margaret said...

Love the haircut! Love the stitching! Love the ceramics! Turtle -- what a great thing to use as a signature! Hope work goes well and you aren't too stressed out catching up and adjusting.

Mouse said...

oooooo love the wee cup ... and the turtle is fab ... can't wait to see what you do with the buttons ... lovely stitching as always and love the "new you " ....
take care and happy stitching when you can :) love mouse xxxxx

Ele said...

Love the ceramics!
The new haircut is cute!

Pull the other thread said...

Great finish on the sheep. Those ceramics are just gorgeous, such a talented friend. Looking forward to seeing how you finish the sheep and your progress on your new one. Lovely hair cut.

Annie said...

The ceramic pieces are fabulous. Gotta love a turtle in a mug!

Very pretty finish. How nice to have the whole series.

And don't you look elegant in your new do! Just what you needed for your return to the working world.

Stay calm!

Mii Stitch said...

Ooooh!!! The cup with the sweet little turtle is just a dream, so so cute :) xoxo

Sarah in Stitches said...

Oooh, beautiful haircut! I also love those ceramics - I have a weakness for pottery that drives DH crazy :D Enjoy your new goodies!

cucki said...

Congrats on the cute finish..... Love the new haircut.
hugs x

Vickie said...

Oh Niki is talented. Love the whimsy.
Wow! Such generosity from Ann. :)
Ann, you are beautiful. Inside and out. So glad you are my friend. And hey! You have green eyes too?! Did you know only 2% of the world has green eyes? ;)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love your new hairstyle Anne, if it's easier to cope with then that's a bonus too. Good luck with the sheep.

Melissa said...

Oh you look very chic with that haircut! Now if I remember correctly you have curly hair, or did you curl your hair before? Inquiring minds want to know! lol.

That's so kind of Ann to send you the whole set of the sheepies! She's a very kind and generous person.

I love pottery too. Your friend is very talented. You know I still have some pieces from 30+ years ago!

I hope you will get used to the new routine soon. It must've been a shock!

Take care, sweetie!

Maggee said...

The turtle IS awfully cute--nice touch by your friend! I did my autumnal displays yesterday too. I might even leave them as they are (versus changing them around!) Great haircut! Hugs!

Barb said...

Hair cut looks great!! Very pretty buttons! I always thought that the beginning of a school year was almost overwhelming. Things have a way of smoothing out. Have a great year!

valerie said...

Great haircut! We can pass as do twins as I just cut mine similar...shorter in the back. Very sweet of Ann to send you the sheepie collection. They are such cute designs. I hope to stitch mine up one day. Lovely buttons and ceramics by your friend! Hope you had a great weekend and try not to let work stress you too much. *hugs*

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

What beautiful buttons.Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for them

Carol said...

How darling your new haircut is, Anne!! New school year--new you!! Hope things calm down and you get used to your new busy day. I know stitching time will be sparse, but I'm sure you'll still find time to fit in a bit now and then.

That was so sweet of Ann to send the entire set of charts--wow!! Niki's creations are so cute--she is very talented (as are you!!).

Missing Cathey every day, but especially at this time of year...

Brigitte said...

Your friend creates wonderful things. This little turtle at the bottom of her cups is such a nice little idea. And those buttons are so beautiful, I can imagine some of them as deco pieces on stitched projects.

So nice of Ann to send you all these loevly charts. There are so many wonderful fellow stitchers out there. And Cathey was also one of them. I have been thinking of her whenever I looked at the little pumpkin pillow that I stitched last year.

Your fall decoration is looking great, particularly the little squirrel.

Lulu said...

Your friend makes some beautiful pottery and congrats on your beautiful finish!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Did the children recognise you?! You look lovely anyway.

What a lovely kind gift from Ann, bloggers really are lovely people.

The turtle bowl is great, such a dinky little turtle in the bottom. Lovely buttons too.

Andrea said...

Wonderful cups and buttons, love the turtle. Lovely stitchy displays. A great new haircut. I couldn't believe a year had gone by since Catheys passing. Such a shame.

Annette said...

I love your new haircute!!Beautifull you look.
What a awesome designer your friend Niki is, I love the little turtle.. it looks so beautifull
As I said in your last post you have been busy