Monday, December 10, 2012

The Queen Stitch and Teeny Tiny Things

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......or so that's how I feel! Tonight we decorated our tree and I started another Christmas ornament, so yes, it's feeling Christmasy here!! The weather has dropped and I feel there's snow on the way, however, it's Vancouver so most likely it will rain.  *Crosses fingers for snow** Hee hee!!!
After a couple of days of nursing my sick husband with lots of love, chicken soup, back rubs, temperature checks, heart checks, you know...all the checks a man needs because they are such babies when they are sick, I decided I'd read to him from one of my favourite books in the world: Brambly Hedge's Winter Story.  I thought this might cheer him up! Well, he loved the story as did I, and it got me right into the spirit of Christmas.  Warm and fuzzy feelings always stir when I read that book, sort of like that part in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when Lucy touches the branch of a fir tree and her feet crunches on snow as she parts the furs and falls into a Winter Wonderland.  How magical is that?!

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of living in this tree stump


Stitchy News:

Feeling rather bold last night, I tackled my first ever Queen Stitches while watching the last part of the Titanic.  I forgot about how amazing that movie is and also how horrifying it would have been to be aboard that ship.  I shed a few tears here and there.....right....the Queen stitches are in periwinkle silk.  It was hard to get a close up of the stitches.  These are the best I could take.



After tackling those stitches, which were a lot of fun, I thought to myself....why not stitch some Christmasy ornies and make them really tiny! So here are my teeny tiny designs I am stitching.


Tweet by LHN, various silks and DMC stitched on 40 ct Creme Brulee linen
And Titus' nose for size comparison:



A cute little freebie from Balades et Broderies.  I want to stitch quite a few of her designs and have chosen one to stitch on some of that lovely gray fabric I recently ordered.  This design is stitched 1 over 1 on 32 ct. lugana. VERY TINY!!!




That will be one small ornament

Wish I had some finishes to show all of you but I have not been in the mood to pull out my sewing machine.  Hopefully next weekend I will be! Send some of that finishing fairy dust or whatever over my way!!!

To all of those who wanted to exchange Christmas cards with me, I have sent them all out on Saturday so they should be arriving soon!!!

Thank you all for visiting and I hope to make more visits to your blogs very soon! 

Big hugs from me and Titus



36 comments:

Barb said...

I'll have to look up that story! You are very brave with that queen stitch. It really gives me trouble. Your little stitches look great!

Annette-California said...

I want to read Bramley's Hedge story now:)Your Queen's stitches look lovely. And stitching one over one is relaxing but not if you have to frog:) Love your Christmas ornaments your working on. Lovely photos, especially the one of your cat's nose.
love Annette

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Brambly Hedge is so appealing, the art work in the books is very pretty. I've got a couple of the plates and I love them. It's always good to try new stitches and feel that sense of achievement. Love Titus, as always.

Nicola said...

I have never heard of Bramly Hedge but I will now investigate.

Well one on mastering the queen stitch, it is such a pretty one

cucki said...

I want to read Bramley's Hedge story now too..
Your Queen's stitches look lovely.i Love your Christmas ornaments wip so much..
Lovely photos..cute kitty
hugs x

Giovanna said...

I love the Brambly Hedge series, I'll have to pull it out and re-read it now :-) Lovely stitching, and the queens are perfect, well done.

Annie said...

Like everyone else, I want to read that too. The cover design is so adorable and that tree stump looks very appealing.

Perfect Queen stitches and lovely teenies too. Titus doesn't try to eat this stuff, does he?

Hope DH is feeling better.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love tiny stitching, it really makes a design look special.

Rhona said...

I love Brambly Hedge! Funnily enough, my daughter confessed to taking some of the Brambly Hedge books to college with her as a bit of relief from all the heavy reading she has to do!

Your stitching is looking great. I don't think my eye sight would be good enough to do those teeny tiny ornaments, but they look fab.

Sending some finishing fairy dust your way!

Carol said...

You had me at "teeny tiny," Anne! How perfectly adorable your tiny stitching is!! I've never tried a queen stitch--are they difficult?

I love the fact that you decided to read to your sick husband--how sweet and what a great story. Yes, men are big babies when they are sick--why do you think it's women that bear children!! I'm nursing my son along after his surgery and it is very wearing, but we're getting there :)

Have a lovely week, Anne!!

Margaret said...

How nice that you read to your DH! We used to do that all the time when we were first going out and were married. Haven't read Brambly Hedge, but I love The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe! Great stitching -- Queen stitch is pretty fun, right? :D Love your tiny ornies too -- love tiny! Titus makes a good nose model. lol! As for snow -- ugh. I'd like to never see snow or ice again myself. :D

emily said...

Hello

I found you through Random Ramblings.
I love the pictures in the Brambly Hedge books too.
I hope your husband is ok now.
Your stitching is beautiful and Titus is extremly handsome!

Melissa said...

Hi Anne!

I was reading to my significant other the other night too! Men - all tough on the outside and baby on the inside haha.

Love your stitching updates. Those are some super small WIPS!

Shirlee said...

I'm not familiar with the Brambly Hedge books! Gotta find that one : ) Your stitching is lovely & Titus, well, what can I say about Titus. Pretty boy : ) Hoping all the illness is gone from your home now!

Julie said...

Love the Brambly Hedge stories,i used to read them to my 2 along with Percy The Park Keeper.
Lovely stitching,never tried 40 ct before.
Titus is looking his very relaxed self. :)

Pauline said...

Oooo, Brambley hedge!
That is sooooo sweet and beautiful...all those pictures...i have one book and read it many times, when my daughter was a little girl.

Siobhán said...

I feel like I've missed out on something big, having never head of the Brambley Hedge!! LOL Your stitching looks great! I like your queen stitches, too.

Minnie said...

Great job on your stitches. I have never heard of the Brambley Hedge but it sounds like fun to read. Yes, husbands when sick are just like newborns (completely helpless):-)

Linda said...

Everything looks great Anne. Love those tiny ornaments. There is no way I could see those tiny holes.

Linda

valerie said...

I hope that your DH is feeling better! Great job on your queen stitches! I've never done any though. :) Love thy tiny stitches and floofy Titus!

Ellen said...

Love your very tiny stitching! I only do over one on 25ct ha ha! Your queen stitches look great!

Hope your DH is feeling better now!

Hugs,

Catherine said...

Oh that Titus!! So cute! Loved seeing all of your tiny stitches!! So sweet of you to red to your husband while he isn't feeling well. Hope he's better soon!

Chris said...

I hope that your husband is feeling better!
Lovely seasonal stitching!
Big hugs to you and sweet Titus.

Anonymous said...

Anne

Ohhh...What a sweet story and to share it with the one you love makes it even more special.

Your Queen Stitches look lovely. I loved Titanic and there are parts that make me cry. So Sad.

That is teeny tiny stitching and it looks great. Not sure if my eyes could handle 1 over 1. Then again I said I would never stitch on linen.

Titus is a cutie.








Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful teeny tiny stitches! Can't wait to see how you finish them off. Merry (early) Christmas, Anne! :D

Mouse said...

awwww love those books and also the magic faraway tree too :)
those ornaments are wee .... and helloo Titus :) glad to see you getting into the stitching lark ...lol
love mouse xxxxx

rosey175 said...

o yes, men are totally babies when they get sick. You would think the world was ending or something! (!!!!!) So cute that you read to him!

That IS tiny! I just adore the picture of Titus' nose and the stitching; it's so cute and fuzzy~ And you must really like going blind, ahaha. They will be simply fabulous when finished though! :D

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your Queen Stitches look perfect! I don't know why everybody dreads them! They're really not that hard of a stitch to do.

Melissa said...

Your Queen stitches look fabulous!

I love your tiny ornaments. So cute. I have Tweet in my stash. Seeing your makes me want to stitch it :)

♥ Nia said...

I've been sick and just yesterday my other-half started to get sick too.. I know what you're saying, such a babies!!! LOL No matter how old they are, they become 5 again! hahahah :D
That LHN is so cute =) Lovely stitching sweetie! Looking for to see your finishes soon! :D
hugs&smiles

Cristina said...

So tiny and beautiful ornaments... I love it!
Men really are all the same everywhere... very funny ^^
Hugs!

Meari said...

I just finished an ornament from Balades et Broderies last night. I'll be posting it to my blog tomorrow. Your ornaments will look great. How did you like doing the Queen Stitches? I did a bunch of them on the scissor case I finished not too long ago. Titus' head looks so huge against that tiny ornament!

Stitching Noni said...

Hope hubby is on the mend now!
Those tiny stitches are amazing. Seeing them up against Titus' nose really shows how teeny they are :)
Titus is a such a cutie!
Hugs xx

Parsley said...

What a fun post. My thoughts take me to childhood books.

Great stitching starts.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Titus' nose for comparison. Your cat's adorable. Love, love, love the pink nose!

Rita said...

oh tell me about it...my husband is just like yours...when he is sick (and sometimes is nothing!) he's such a baby!! i go crazy lol

Titanic is one of my favourite movies ever! love it!! and everytime i see it, i cry!! :(

i still didn't do my tree!! Can you believe it?? i have 4 days till christmas lol

have a great time!:)