Monday, December 17, 2012

*GASP* Two Finishes!! IHSW and TUSAL

What's that you hear? Yes....you heard correctly! I finally had a finishing weekend!!! Yay! The finishing drive came over me once I had a glass of sherry and put on some old school jazz. I am pretty pleased with the results and can't wait for next weekend when I will have more time for finishing!! 

Earlier that day, I took a visit to Fabricland and found some wooden and metal buttons on sale.  I grabbed a couple of packs, came home and started playing with trims.  Following some inspiration from the wonder woman finisher Faye from Carolina Stitcher and her post about layering, I decided to give layering trims a go and found a lovely combo for my 123citrouille's Noel.  

123Citrouille's Noel freebie
I love the combo of ribbon, lace, cluny lace and chenille trim with those buttons! So proud of myself!! It's nice to know that with all that practice, I am getting a wee bit better with my finishes.  Don't mean to toot my own horn, but compared to when I first started, it's an improvement to say the least.  The only thing is I don't really like the current fiberfill I have, it's sort of lumpy and difficult to work with.  Now I need to buy some really good fiberfill instead of this lumpy stuff I have and my finishes will be even better.

I also fiddled around with PS's Partridge in a Pear Tree.  I cut out a triangle and spent a good 1/2 hour looking for the green felt I thought I had lying around.  Couldn't find it so I used some red felt.  After I made the ornament, guess what I found?  Yup, the green felt!! Egads!!! Oh well! I think this one came out okay too.  Not as good as the Noel pillow, but cute I think.



Check out who's under the tree! Naughty Titus!!




Oh that cat! 

With all that finishing this weekend, I didn't spend a lot of time stitching.  I did work a wee bit more on Tweet and Tea Bath Fairy.  Here's my progress for 2012's last IHSW.


Loads of Kreinik stitching...slow going.


The little Tweet!

Looking forward to more hermitty weekends in 2013! 

The last TUSAL of the year is filled with kreinik and other bits of string as my hubby calls it.

Thank you to those who have sent me Christmas cards! I have them up and displayed and love them all!! 

On a sadder note, my heart breaks every time I think of those children and teachers who lost their lives in Connecticut.  I wept for all those little boys and girls and their families.  My heart and prayers are with the parents and the community for their loss.  

Take care everyone! I'm looking forward to spending some time visiting your blogs on the break.  

Hugs from me and Titus








39 comments:

Annie said...

Your 2 finishes are just perfect. Love the layering on the first. Triangles can be tricky and you definitely nailed that one too.

Faye said...

Just beautiful!!!! You have done a fantastic job!!!!!

Annette-California said...

You did a great job on finishing your two ornaments. BEAUTIFUL!!! I love how you layered the trims and buttons. I can relate with hunting the right felt or fabric that you know you have - only to turn up after your done:)
Happy Holidays - love Annette

Nicola said...

Beautiful finishing, the layering is so effective. What is it with cats and Christmas trees ..... ?

Jane said...

Two lovely finishes, I think they both look beautiful ~ well done you.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS xxx

cucki said...

Aww such lovely stitching..well done for the finishes..
Merry Christmas to you and sweet kitty x

Siobhán said...

Your finishing looks great, Anne! You have every right to be proud of how they look! I need to make note of how you used the cluny lace. I have some, I love it, but I didn't know what to do with it! Lovely work.

Happy Christmas! I know you celebrate on the Feast of the Epiphany, so this is a bit early, but hope you enjoy the Christmas period. :)

Mii Stitch said...

Fantastic finishing! Love the layering, it's perfect!! Lovely colourful tree :) Have a blissful holiday, Mii x

Giovanna said...

Lovely finishes, well done! And great going on the WIPs.

Chris said...

Oh Anne! Your finishing is just gorgeous!!
Look at Titus,he just loves thtree doesn't he?
Merry Christmas!

Margaret said...

Great finishing for sure! Love what you did with the layering! And the felt too, even though it's not the color you wanted. Your stitching is looking good too! Mia started batting and sniffing at one or two of the ornaments on the tree when we first put it up -- which she's never done before! But after that she seemed to lose interest. Although she does go underneath sometimes, like her buddy Titus. lol!

Teresa said...

What lovely finishes. You did a wonderful job.
Thank you for the card how very sweet of you.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Sarah in Stitches said...

Absolutely beautiful finishes! Way to go, I love them both. And give a hug to Titus for me! :D

Vickie said...

Oh they are wonderful Anne. I really like the last picture of Titus. =)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely finishing, it gives a great sense of achievement when it's something that doesn't come easily. Titus is such a bonnie fellow and typical cat lying under the tree.

Anonymous said...

Anne,
Your layering is beautiful You really did a great job with it. Congrats!

I love your finish of the pear ornament the red felt helps the pattern to stand out. Your stitching is lovely.

Your progress looks good on both WIP's.

Cats are always up to something.

Melissa said...

Your finishes turned out beautiful and great progress on your other pieces!

Keebles said...

Congrats on the finishes!! Looks really beautiful!

marly said...

Toot your horn as loudly as you can! Your finishing work is fabulous.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Your finishes are simply gorgeous, your WIPs look fantastic and Titus is as handsome as ever!

Rhona said...

What great finishes! Love the layering effect you used and the colour combinations are perfect. You nailed it!

Karoline said...

Gorgeous finishes, congratulations and your wips are looking lovely

Linda said...

Beautiful finishes Anne. I love the tree one.

Linda

Ellen said...

Beautiful finishes! Love your layering effects, I must try them ha ha!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Kate said...

Beautiful stitching and Titus is so beautiful too

♥ Nia said...

Congrats on your finishes sweetie! :D
Titus looks so pretty on that last photo! Charming =)
hugs&smiles

rosey175 said...

What, no Titus noses today! It must be because he's in your Christmas tree thinking about which ornament looks the most delicious, haha!

The layered trims look awesome so yay for giving them a go! :D I think I like the little tree the best though but that might be because I really like triangles, LOL!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great finishes! I sometimes feel like having a whole day of stitching and sticking together.

I really like the triangular tree, I might try that one.

we don't have a cat to bother our tree, instead we have an empty space the same size as the Small Boy's reach where he keeps removing the baubles!

Sally said...

I love your finishes Anne. They look so pretty.

Nice progress on your WIPs.

Aww Titus is so cute!

Emma/Itzy said...

At least Titus is not up the tree like my two! Luckily, so far, it hasn't toppled over but there is still plenty of time for that...

I hope my card arrived, I sent it early last week so you should have it by now I hope.

Have a great Christmas!

Emma xo

Carol said...

Such gorgeous finishes, Anne...the layering definitely works and your triangle finis is perfection! I need to try one of those myself...

Will you be spoiling Titus for Christmas--I think he deserves it :)

Catherine said...

Wonderful finishes!!
Have a very Merry Christmas!

Brenda said...

Oh what beautiful finishes and the WIP!!! Congratulations!!!

valerie said...

Awesome finishes Anne! Love the ornies. They look great on your tree! And great progress on Tweet and TCF. Wishing you, hubby and Titus a very Merry Christmas! *hugs* =)

Brigitte said...

Great for you that you finished the two ornaments, so creatively. Great job!

Stitching Noni said...

Your 2 finishes are beautiful. Well done :) They both look so pretty.
Great progress on your WIP's :)
Thank you for the Christmas card - it arrived safely the other day.
Merry Christmas & a very Happy New Year :)

mdgtjulie said...

Hello Titus and Anne. Lovely tree you have there, Anne. It's beautiful. I'm out of school for the holidays, and getting a little bit caught up on blogs. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends, and a happy and profitable new year. Your first ornie looks very professionally done. I'm impressed. I like the partridge on the best, though. Keep up the good work!!

Valentina said...

Great finishes!! A very merry Christmas to you and your family!

Rita said...

Beautiful stitches and finishes! Loved them!:)
kisses