Friday, August 1, 2014

Bikes and Hikes

Part One of my posts!! 

Can't believe it's August 1st already and summer is halfway done! It's been a bustling and hustling time for me as usual with some stitching done in between (in the next post).  Since my last post, I have been going to farmer's markets, exercising, visiting friends and family, biking and hiking.  My hubby and I went for a short two night bike trip to Porpoise Bay and loved having the cyclists campground to ourselves the first night.  We tried swimming the next day in the Bay but the wind was so vicious, as though it had chilly teeth clawing out our bare skin, that we could only go as far outas our knees.  The following day we encountered some rain just after we packed up, which was a relief.  Cycling in warm summer rain isn't so bad.  In fact it was nice to feel warm yet be cooled by the rain.  The mists coming down from the mountains was so mystical it felt like we were a part of a Tolkien book!












Then on Monday, we headed out for my first hike, hubby's 4th, deep into the Coastal Mountains in North Vancouver.  At first I thought, oh this isn't so bad for hiking, but when we passed the "Be prepared sign", it got ridiculously hard.  As I've said, I'm not a hiker really, so scaling steep mountain sides and up rocky creek beds is more for experts than lil' ol' me.  Well, I managed to do it with a weakened ankle and an arm that was nearly broken by a falling rock.  Yes, I did it even though my heart was in my mouth from fear of falling.  My hubby says I earned my Wolverine, Valor, Endurance and Bull's Strength badges (I suppose those are scout badges??) since I persevered and did this crazy, hard hike.  We couldn't get back in time and I was so weak, we had to pitch our hammocks.  The temperature dropped so low that night, I awoke shaking from freezing.  Thankfully, my survivor husband, had emergency blankets in his pack which we wrapped around me like a cocoon.  I think I got 2 more hours of sleep that night then we hiked back.  Every muscle in my body ached! Muscles I didn't know I had! I think I'll stick to cycling though.  I feel much more safe on my bike than on my own two feet!! Enjoy some of the photos.


Survivor man with morning sun on his back

This mountain is a lot steeper than it looks...my heart was racing

Part of the rocky creek bed we traversed

Relief from scaling that mountain

The final stop after all my injuries...the creek water was so clear and pure

Our sleeping accommodations
That's all so far for my adventures in July.  This month, we are hoping to travel some more, where, we are still deciding but somewhere new.  With bikes!! 

Stay tuned for the stitchy post next!!

Hugs

Anne

22 comments:

gracie said...

What an adventure...love the pictures.

marly said...

Oh my goodness you are a brave one. How scary and exhausting. Hope your arm is OK.

rosey175 said...

It's amazing what a new excursion can do to make muscles that were never present on your body before suddenly appear and torment you! I think I would feel safer on a bike too, although there are some crazies that would take that path on a bike. Congrats on surviving! :D

I don't think I've ever seen a camping hammock like that before!

P.J. said...

awesome!!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

You're so brave! It does look like you had some fun too!

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Hi
Wow beautiful reportage.
Great pictures.

Ele said...

Sounds exhausting! But I love your photos, thank you for sharing!!

stitchersanon said...

Totally gorgeous pics...lovely. Sounds like a great time: add that to my wish list too rofl

Sarah in Stitches said...

Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us :D

Vickie said...

WOW! I am so glad you shared this with us. I am not able to do such things anymore, and I enjoy "going along with you" on your adventures. And this was QUITE adventurous!!

Shirlee said...

I'm sorry about the injuries, but what a gorgeous hike & bike ride!

Carol said...

Wow! I'm so amazed, Anne! I would be scared to death on some of that hike even though I enjoy hiking for the most part. It sounds like quite a workout, but must have given you such a feeling of pride when you made it safely!! Really love the photos of you and that one of your husband in the sun is so cool--great photography skills :)

Now, to rest your weary bones and muscles and sit quietly stitching with dear Titus!

Brigitte said...

Your pictures are a dream. What a scenery. I love mountains so much but I'm afraid of heights so hiking in the mountains has always been a bit freightening for me. You can be so proud of yourself on having mastered this hike.

Julie said...

We'll done, what a trek. Such beautiful pictures you captured to share with us.

Linda said...

Your a brave lady Anne. Congrats on enduring.

Linda

Maggee said...

What an adventure you had hiking! Stick to biking--don't get hurt tho!! Hugs!

Margaret said...

You are a brave woman! Wow! I remember going on a hike once -- much easier than yours, but still up steep mountain and down again. My legs were so weak afterward! If I'd done what you did, I wouldn't have made it. Bikes I'm no good at either. lol! Hope you enjoy your next trip biking!

Mii Stitch said...

FAN-TAS-TIC!!

geeky Heather said...

Oh, mercy!!! So glad you made it! I hope the beautiful views were worth it in the end!

Penny said...

What gorgeous pictures, Anne! And your first hike sounds pretty impressive! It sounds like you definitely should have earned a badge of some kind. :)

Melanie said...

YIKES! That sounds, uhhhh, crazy hard. Good for you for making it! :)

Annette said...

Love you Sleeping place. NOT!!! Omg What did you do. Crazy girl.
But really beautifull pictures.
You must ha e some great times!!! Enjoy moments. There are precies!!
Hugggs